Michael Pollan rocks.
10:16 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
From his new book In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto:
1. "Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."
2. "Avoid foods containing ingredients you can't pronounce."
3. "Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot."
4. "Avoid food products that carry health claims."
5. "Shop the peripheries of the supermarket; stay out of the middle."
6. "Better yet, buy food somewhere else: the farmers' market or CSA."
7. "Pay more, eat less."
8. "Eat a wide variety of species."
9. "Eat food from animals that eat grass."
10. "Cook, and if you can, grow some of your own food."
11. "Eat meals and eat them only at tables."
12. "Eat deliberately, with other people whenever possible, and always with pleasure."
I do not live by all of these rules, but I'd like to! I'd love to have a garden and eat more vegetables; this is easier said than done in the winter. We won't be getting the CSA anymore. Instead, we're going to shop at the farmer's markets and spend the money on vegetables and fruits we'll be sure to eat, as opposed to having to "find" a recipe so I can use our weird looking vegetables - and even then, we still don't use them all.
2. "Avoid foods containing ingredients you can't pronounce."
3. "Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot."
4. "Avoid food products that carry health claims."
5. "Shop the peripheries of the supermarket; stay out of the middle."
6. "Better yet, buy food somewhere else: the farmers' market or CSA."
7. "Pay more, eat less."
8. "Eat a wide variety of species."
9. "Eat food from animals that eat grass."
10. "Cook, and if you can, grow some of your own food."
11. "Eat meals and eat them only at tables."
12. "Eat deliberately, with other people whenever possible, and always with pleasure."
I do not live by all of these rules, but I'd like to! I'd love to have a garden and eat more vegetables; this is easier said than done in the winter. We won't be getting the CSA anymore. Instead, we're going to shop at the farmer's markets and spend the money on vegetables and fruits we'll be sure to eat, as opposed to having to "find" a recipe so I can use our weird looking vegetables - and even then, we still don't use them all.
Would anyone like some sweet potatoes? I enjoy them, but we have about 10 right now, and will probably get more tomorrow.


1 Observations or Opinions:
I just started reading that book this week. It's very interesting, however, I'm a bit overwhelmed, as there's a whole lot of "don'ts" in it! But, I'm motivated to steer our family in the right "nutritional" direction...not that we were ever eating bad, but after taking a look at the nutrition labels in our pantry...there's an awful lot of words I can't pronounce! Yikes :-)
Post a Comment