My first Birth Day
1:09 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
I met a wonderful woman last weekend at my "Breastfeeding for Birth Professionals" class. She called me on Tuesday and invited me to observe her birth. Her 'guess date' was not until next week, but she sent me a text yesterday morning telling me that her water had broken and that she was getting ready to make birthday cupcakes. No word until around 3:30, when she said she hadn't had much progress at all. Around 6:00, her doula called me and said they were on their way to the hospital. I arrived at 6:20, and mom was wheeled through the doors at 6:35. She was in bed at 6:45, checked at 6:47 (6-7 centimeters), said she had to push a few minutes later (she was on her side), pushed no more than twice, and had a baby girl crying on her bare chest at 6:57. No IV, no drugs, no midwife (the nurse delivered the baby), no tears, and everything was perfect. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
What a wonderful first birth day for me, though the doula said I've been spoiled because births are never that easy. Nonetheless, it was amazing, and I'm so thankful to have such a memorable experience as I start down my path to childbirth educator and doula.
What a wonderful first birth day for me, though the doula said I've been spoiled because births are never that easy. Nonetheless, it was amazing, and I'm so thankful to have such a memorable experience as I start down my path to childbirth educator and doula.


1 Observations or Opinions:
Congrats! The first is always a flood of emotions.
Post a Comment